Sunday 5 October 2008

Shaving Horse

So I picked up some logs from my tree surgeon's yard last week. I already had all the tools to get from whole logs to pieces of log (i.e. a log splitter, a sledge hammer and an axe) but getting from rough log sections to workable pieces requires a shaving horse. A shaving horse is simply a bench on which you sit and a cramp to hold wood still while you shape it with a drawknife and spokeshave. There are several websites giving plans and directions such as http://www.greenwoodworking.com/shorse.htm However, in Living Woods Magazine (http://britishwoodworking.com/Living%20Woods.html), Nick Gibbs published instructions to build Mike Abbott's new style horse. To keep costs down, the brief I had set myself was to use up as much of the old wood I had lying around rather than buying in a load of 4x2 as in the magazine. Using a combination of old fence posts from my veranda and random pieces of hard and softwood I threw together my horse in a few hours.
He is a little rickety so I have started refering to him as my shaving donkey, he doesn't have a name yet.

So what advice would I give to people who want to make their own shaving horse? Firstly, there is no substitute for thick wood. You simply can't get the strength when using thinner pieces. Secondly, don't under estimate the strength of your legs. I used a piece of 14mm dowel as my pivot and it snapped immediately. I'm currently using an old piece of copper pipe until I can come up with an alternative. Finally, don't expect it to be perfect first time. My top board, or head, is a little too high. My seat is 50cm from the ground - a comfortable sitting height - and my top board is a further 45 cm from the seat. This creates a slightly unnatural movement and should probably have been nearer 30 cm from the seat as one's arms are stronger nearer your waist than up by your shoulders.

Now to get working on some logs...

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Alternate parts list... 1) hairy but docile beast of burden, 2) the constitution of a meth fired mountain man, 3) Mach 3 plus 20 replacement blades, 4) 1 Dozen canisters Gillette ‘Tough Beard’ foam, 5) 100 ml of horse tranquilizer. For the weekend warrior, I believe a gallon or so of Veet will do the trick.

Plutus said...

You seem to have misread the title of my post as "Shaving a Horse". I'll be sure to follow your instructions should the opportunity arise!

Plutus said...

Here's a random donkey movie on Youtube:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kLXIJTQl1Wc&feature=related

I love the look on the other donks' faces when the camera pans round. "It's a cat you idiot!"