Wednesday 20 August 2008

Stolen Vegetables

I've been put in temporary charge of my friends' allotment. Doesn't really involve much work when the weather is this bad. All I had to do yesterday was pick some beans and tomatoes so that they'd continue to fruit.


Really drums home the importance of sun though. I have an amazing garden but the southern boundary is lined with several huge trees which cast a shadow over most of the garden until early afternoon. Not even gonna think about the effect of the roots! I've managed to populate all the non-veg areas with relevant plants, most of which are doing very well, but vegetables are a different story. The difference between identical crops (same seeds sown at the same time in the same greenhouse with the same water) that have been planted in my garden and my friends' allotment is huge. Some things crop well in my garden (tomatoes, peppers, beans and peas especially) but some things don't crop well at all (notably root veg). However, EVERYTHING crops so much better at my friends' allotment. Maybe I should gather together an army and plan an invasion...

No comments: