Wednesday 3 September 2008

What makes a good teacher?

No, really, what makes a good teacher?

I don't necessarily mean a school teacher. In my opinion, anyone who imparts knowledge upon people on a regular basis is a teacher. Some teachers are professional educators, some are people trying to promote their wares, some are religious indoctrinators and some are simply people who love telling others about stuff they know and love. We've all had good and bad teachers in our time. Occasionally individuals connect with their tutor on some "higher level" but more often than not a good teacher is almost universally accepted to be a great imparter of knowledge. Why? Of course topical knowledge is critical but many subject matter experts make horrendous teachers. There has to be more than knowledge. I believe passion is vital, encouragement important and then there is the balance. The balance between giving someone the knowledge to find the answer to a question/challenge and stepping back just enough to allow the student to make, and learn from, their mistakes. I've had a couple of good pedagogues recently, some bad ones too. I've also delivered both excellent and substandard training in my time.

I'm taking several more training courses in the coming months so will probably have more to contribute on this subject but, in the mean time, I welcome your comments...

No comments: