Monday 23 March 2009

Le jardin

Garden's going well too. While much of my time has been occupied with the workshop, there has been a little time to plant a few new additions. A bunch of Cornus sericea 'Flaviramea' offset by a single Cornus alba 'Sibirica' underplanted with several Heucheras (Key Lime Pie and a purple one, possibly Amethyst Myst). All this has a quickthorn hedge as a backdrop with a young laburnum to give a bit of height. All sounds very impressive but the plants are quite young so will take a while to establish.

Veggie-wise, last week's warm weather has helped things along very well. This year, I'm concentrating mostly on peas and beans with a few root crops. Here's a few of the varieties I'm trying:

Peas - Hurst Green Shaft, Little Marvel and some yellow mange tout and another clibming variety from Mr. H
Beans - Dwarf french 'purple king', broad 'red epicure', climbing purple, borlotti, dwarf french yellow 'berggold', Kidney bean 'yin yang' (from the Eden Project range!) and dwarf green 'Triomphe de Farcy
Kohl Rabi - both purple ('Modrava') and white ('Lanro')

Radish - normal red ones and some 'Hilds blauer Herbst und Winter'


Then there's the salad crops, a few brassicas and some peppers, a couple of types of carrots, my potatoes, japanese onions, garlic and horseradish. Sounds like a lot but we'll see what survives the squirrel attacks. Things are looking OK so far:



You should stop by some time...

1 comment:

Robin Fawcett said...

Hi Nick
I haven't looked at your blog for a while but you don't need to apologise for not posting. Do you know for sure that anyone is actually looking at it ? - I use Google Analytics. People look but hardly ever leave comments. I sometimes wonder "Why am I doing this?"

Shed/Workshop looks good and I like the sound of the new planting scheme - it's great watching those young spindly plants fill out.

I've put a link to you on my blog.