Sunday 18 January 2009

And a Sunday

Well, it seems that the cr@ppy weather struck in the wee hours. Positive - had an unexpectedly "free" day in the garden. Negative - was woken up half a dozen times by the fecking rain hitting the windows and I wanted to clean the kitchen today. But didn't!

So what did I do?


Went to Homebase with Mrs P to buy some (more) sand and cement for the workshop base. Thought I'd aggravate my minor hernia while there as well. Wanted to pick up some manure to mulch my borders with but Homebase were not playing ball so had to stop off at Squires instead.


Got home with said products and injuries, had lunch, then got to work. The soil on my land isn't the best quality. We're on heavy clay being so near the Thames, which is compounded by the neglect from which the garden has suffered for years in the hands of seemingly lazy gardeners. Don't get me wrong, I am often lazy and I consider myself a gardener, but I prefer not to combine the two! Anyway, all my veg are grown in raised beds cos of my soil issues. So, today I dug them over enriching them with a combination of shop bought manure and the contents of my compost heap. I wish "the heap" was able to generate enough material to feed all my beds but, alas, there is only so much peeling of vegetables two people can do in a year!


Following my veg plot preparation, for which I feel I am ahead of the game by the way, I got a little carried away with clearing the leaves from the borders. I was intending to let the leaves protect the borders from the frost for the entire winter but every time I moved a leaf, I uncovered another head striving for the little sun our winter days offer. I couldn't help but let my germanic tidiness get the better of me - before I knew it, all the leaves had been filed away into their alloted location. Good leaves!


Finally, thought I'd carve a spoon out of some ash. Got damn cold and dark again before I could finish it so I'll add it to the WIP pile and hope it gets finished soon.


Enjoyable weekend, but the cold and dark sometimes make me wish I was back here instead:


Still, South West London has its charms...


No comments: