Sunday 5 July 2009

48 hours

No, not the Nick Nolte and Eddie Murphy film, the weekend!

Weekend was good. Got to see the niece today. She is adorable in a different way every time we see her. Also saw the folks. Gave my dad some of my purple kohl rabi (modrava) seeds earlier in the year. We started them going at roughly the same time and while mine are pushing golf ball size, his are larger than tennis balls. I know, I know, you're going to tell me it's all about the conditions. I accept that. No, really I do. But I am a competitive chap and the feeling of inadequacy is difficult to quash.


Very exciting - the folks salvaged some freshly felled cherry wood from mum's tennis club. Only been down a week or two and I'm looking fwd to getting started on it soon. Learnt an interesting lesson with the birch I'm currently working. First log I used was from some way up the trunk. All went swimmingly, cut like butter. The second log, however, was from much nearer the base of the tree and has been tearing when cut in either direction. I only have a little knowledge about this sort of thing, I'm mostly learning from experience. I am making an educated guess that higher up the tree the grain runs pretty straight. Lower down, however, the trunk is not so linear. The log I used was three feet long, over which the diameter reduced by a couple of inches. I am assuming that the tearing out, from which I am suffering, is because the grain is running at an angle and I am cutting straight. Opinions to the contrary very welcome.


Yet again it is Sunday evening. Sunday night actually. Always comes around too quickly.


Looking forward to a good harvest of French beans, potatoes, onions, garlic and peas this week. We'll see...

No comments: