Tuesday 14 July 2009

Convenience Food

Mrs P goes out occasionally and when she does, I tend to eat lazily. In my mind, one of the greatest lazy bites is the toasted sandwich. Mrs P and I used to (possibly still do) own a Breville sandwich toaster that was used somewhat infrequently. The end result was always so tasty, but the subsequent cleaning outweighed the gluttonous gratification. So tonight, I thought I would experiment with a low maintenance alternative. Pretty simple really:
  • Butter the outside of the bread slices as you would with a traditional sandwich toaster.
  • Lay one slice, butter side down, on a piece of kitchen foil large enough to wrap the entire finished article.
  • Fill with contents of choice (today I opted for thinly sliced German schinken, spring onion, vine tomato and red pepper topped with mature cheddar and port salut).
  • Place the other slice of bread atop the pile, again buttered side out.
  • Wrap the foil over the sandwich pressing down quite hard to pack it all together.
  • Chuck in a preheated hot oven. I used 230C for about 10 minutes and the results were wonderful.
Better than the original without the mess...

No comments: